news-details

Sixty-four new cases of coronavirus have been recorded in the UK taking the patient total to 273 in the biggest daily rise so far.

Supermarket giant Tesco is now rationing goods at its stores as customers panic buy goods following the outbreak of coroanvirus.

The retailer's website announced the imposition of a five-item limit on UHT milk, pasta and baked beans.

Boris Johnson will chair his second Cobra meeting with medical experts as Whitehall draws up a battle plan to deal with the outbreak

It was reported today that Government ministers are planning for a death toll as high as 100,000 people.

And Italy has quarantined 16 million people - a quarter of its population - to try and contain the virus.

The Department of Health said more than 21,000 people have now been tested for the virus.

Calls to the NHS 111 service have increased by more than a third compared to the same period last year, with 120,000 extra calls in the first week of March, the department said.

Five hundred additional initial call responders have been trained to handle the higher demand.

Follow our blog for updates on the coronavirus outbreak

Cruise ship off Florida coast awaiting COVID-19 test results

A cruise ship is sailing back and forth off the coast of Florida awaiting tests for the covonavirus from two crew members.

The Regal Princess was supposed to dock in Port Everglades Sunday morning. the Miami Herald reported.

Crew members transferred to the Florida-based ship from the Grand Princess cruise ship in California, which has 21 positive cases of COVID-19.

The crew members are not showing symptoms of the virus, the company said.

(Image: Getty Images)

Health Secretary says “national effort” required to tackle outbreak

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said a “national effort” is required to tackle the coronavirus outbreak.

He hailed the “good example” set by a group of people released from hospital quarantine on Sunday, who had been repatriated to the UK last month from the coronavirus-hit Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan.

The group of 30 Britons and two Irish nationals are now allowed to leave Arrowe Park hospital in the Wirral, having been given the all clear from infection.

(Image: REUTERS)

Vast majority of UK coronavirus cases in England

As of today’s figures, there are 244 coronavirus cases in England, 18 in Scotland, four in Wales and seven cases in Northern Ireland,

London has reported 51 cases since the outbreak began.

The Department of Health said more than 23,500 people have been tested for the virus.

Over 23,000 people have been tested for coronavirus (Image: George Cracknell Wright/LNP)

Two more cases of coronavirus reported in Scotland

Two more cases of coronavirus have been reported in Scotland, according to the Scottish Government. Newly-released figures show a total of 18 positive tests of COVID-19 in Scotland on Sunday, exactly a week after the first case emerged north of the border.

Cases have been reported in Tayside, Ayrshire and Arran, Forth Valley, Greater Glasgow and Clyde, Grampian, Fife, Lothian and Lanarkshire.

The latest positive tests were recorded in Greater Glasgow and Clyde, and Lothian.

KEY EVENT

Number of people in UK with coronavirus jumps to 273

The number of coronavirus cases in the UK has soared by 64 bringing the country’s total to 273 - health officials have announced today.

The Department of Health said more than 23,513 people have now been tested for the virus.

Two patients who tested positive for COVID-19 have died.

A doctor looking at a lung CT image from a patient (Stock image)
A doctor looking at a lung CT image from a patient (Stock image) (Image: AFP via Getty Images)

Three people at GP practice test positive

Three people who work within one Torquay GP practice and adjoining pharmacy have tested positive with COVID-19, it is reported.

All three work at Chelston Hall, which is both a surgery, mini-pharmacy and attached chemists shop at the rear of the large Victorian building in Old Mill Road.

(Image: PA)

Warm spring weather could help tackle spread of coronavirus

Warm spring weather could help tackle the spread of coronavirus, it has been

Forecasters say temperatures could reach 23C in the UK in the coming weeks, helping free up beds occupied by those suffering from winter flu and vomiting bugs.

As a result there will be more resources available to help treat those diagnosed with Covid-19.

The Met Office now thinks the likelihood of a hotter-than-normal spring is 11 times higher than a colder-than-average season will deliver a boost to their hopes.

And the Weather Outlook predicts the UK could bask in highs of 23C next month.

(Image: PA)

Pope says he feels 'caged'

Pope Francis said he felt ‘caged’ as delivered his Sunday blessing over the internet from inside the Vatican on Sunday.

He did, however, wave silently to several hundred people from the same window in the huge square which often draws tens of thousands.

“It’s a bit strange this Angelus prayer today with the pope caged in the library, but I see you and I am close to you,” he said.

The pope address his audience by video link (Image: REUTERS)

Colosseum closed to tourists until April

The Colosseum in Rome has been closed to tourists as the country battles the coronavirus epidemic.

The renowned landmark will be closed until April, the Mirror understands.

Deaths from the virus had also risen, by 36 to 233, while the number of patients in intensive care climbed to 567, up 23% from the day before.

Of the 5,883 Italians originally infected, 589 have fully recovered, but the hospital system has come under increasing strain.

The Colosseum looks deserted (Image: Hannah Dodd)
It will be closed to tourist until May (Image: Hannah Dodd)

Coronavirus patients threatened with prison if they fail to self-isolate

Russian authorities threatened to jail people who have failed to self-isolate in their homes for two weeks after visiting countries hit by coronavirus.

The Moscow city government warned it will impose five-year prison sentences to anyone attempting to break quarantine.

Those who return from China, South Korea, Iran, France, Germany, Italy and Spain and other states showing possible “unfavourable” signs of coronavirus should self-isolate themselves at home for 14 days.

Moscow has threatened sanctions (Image: REUTERS)

Northern Italians told to stay home and self-isolate if going south

Italy’s southern regions have told those coming form the north to stay home and self-isolate.

At least 16 millions people are under lockdown in Lombardy as authorities desperately battle to stop the spread of the virus.

An estimated two million people have left the underdeveloped south in the past 15 years in search of work and hundreds of thousands of them have settled in the north.

“I speak to you as if you were my children, my brothers, my nephews and nieces: stop and go back,” said Michele Emiliano, the governor of Puglia.

“Get off at the first train station, do not catch planes ... turn your cars around, get off your buses. Do not bring the Lombard, Veneto and Emilia epidemic to Puglia.”

Operators fumigate the Church of San Domenico Maggiore in Naples (Image: CIRO FUSCO/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock)

Women charged after fight over toilet paper

Two women have been charged after a fight at an Australian supermarket over toilet paper, police said.

Video of the incident was shared widely online.

New South Wales state police acting inspector Andrew New said: “We just ask that people don’t panic like this when they go out shopping.

“There is no need for it. It’s not the Thunderdome, it’s not Mad Max, we don’t need to do that.”

Footballer tests positive for coronavirus

Two football teams in Northern Ireland have been told to take precautionary measures after a player tested positive for coronavirus after a match.

In a statement, Hanover Football Club in Co Armagh confirmed that one of its players was diagnosed with Covid-19 after Saturday’s game.

The footballer was one of three people to have contracted coronavirus as confirmed by health officials on Saturday evening.

China 'beating coronavirus' with just 44 new infections

China appears to be winning the war on coronavirus with new cases dropping to just 44.

New figures show its spread is slowing with 99 fresh infections reported on March 6, the lowest increase since January, while yesterday that number fell to just 44, with 27 new deaths recorded.

It may suggest the state’s draconian measures, which has seen tens of millions of its 1.3 billion people quarantined, is working.

A Welsh couple are stranded on a coronavirus-hit cruise ship stuck off the California coast.

Patrick and Kim Maguire have been confined to their cabins for more than two days after 21 people on board the Grand Princess ship tested positive for the deadly virus.

Speaking on Saturday Patrick, 56, described how they are coping being confined to a cabin, uncertainty over what happens next and that the trip was part of their wedding anniversary celebrations.

Patrick said: “It’s a little frustrating because there’s no plan. That’s no fault of Princess Cruises, the captain and crew have been amazing.

“They are doing the best they can. But there is a little bit of cabin fever at the moment.”

Patrick and Kim Maguire (Image: Patrick Maguire/Media Wales)

KEY EVENT

Two patients 'from same household' test positive for coronavirus in Wales

Two further patients in Wales have tested positive for coronavirus after recently returning from northern Italy pushing the number of UK cases to 211.

Dr Frank Atherton, the chief medical officer for Wales, said: “I can confirm that two additional individuals in Wales have tested positive for coronavirus (Covid-19), bringing the total number of positive cases in Wales to four.

“Both individuals are resident in the same household in the Pembrokeshire local authority area and have recently returned from northern Italy.

“They are being managed in a clinically appropriate setting. All appropriate measures to provide care for the individuals and to reduce the risk of transmission to others are being taken. “I’d like to take this opportunity to assure the public that Wales and the whole of the UK is prepared for these types of incidents. “

Working with our partners in Wales and the UK, we have implemented our planned response, with robust infection control measures in place to protect the health of the public.”

Patient went 'bar-hopping to spread disease'

A man in his 50s who tested positive for coronavirus went bar-hopping “to spread the disease”, it has been reported.

The patient, who showed no symptoms of the virus, was tested at a hospital in the Japanese city of Gamagori on Wednesday after both of his parents - whom he lives with - contracted the bug.

After testing positive for coronavirus, he was told to wait at home until doctors could find a space for him at a medical facility.

Instead of following medical advice, he allegedly decided to take a taxi to an izakaya bar - a type of informal Japanese bar that serves alcoholic drinks and snacks - after reportedly telling a family member: “I am going to spread the virus.”

Kyoto city staffs sanitise the Kyoto Metro trains
Kyoto city staffs sanitise the Kyoto Metro trains (Image: The Asahi Shimbun via Getty Imag)

Nicola Sturgeon said need for more funding for the NHS is “inevitable”

Nicola Sturgeon has said the need for more funding for the NHS is “inevitable” as the UK looks to tackle coronavirus.

Speaking on Sky News’ Sophy Ridge On Sunday, the First Minister reassured Scots that the country is prepared for a further outbreak - which exceeds the current total of 16 positive cases - and that further measures are being put in place.

She said: “I think it’s pretty much inevitable that we will need additional resources for our National Health Service, although we are right now working within the resources that are available to the health service.

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - MARCH 4: Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon speaks during a visit to the NHS 24 contact centre at the Golden Jubilee National Hospital to meet staff supporting Scotland's public information response to coronavirus (COVID-19) on March 4, 2020 in Glasgow, Scotland. (Photo by Jane Barlow-Pool/Getty Images)
Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon (Image: Pool)

Hand sanitiser being stolen from hospitals

Thieves have been helping themselves to hand sanitiser from hospitals as medics say it puts patients at risk.

Northampton General Hospital said staff have noticed “a lot” of hand sanitiser going missing.

The hospital wrote: “We’re seeing a lot of hand sanitiser dispensers disappearing from the end of our patients’ beds and from our welcome desks.

“Please help us to keep our patients safe by not removing the dispensers or using them to top up your own dispensers.”

Bosses at Northampton General Hospital have been told to keep an eye on hand sanitiser stocks
Bosses at Northampton General Hospital have been told to keep an eye on hand sanitiser stocks (Image: PA)

KEY EVENT

UK to deliver “whatever action is required” - Chancellor

Rishi Sunak said the Government is ready to deliver “whatever action is required” to deal with the coronavirus crisis.

Asked if he would be spending and borrowing more to get through the crisis, the Chancellor said: “We’re looking very hard at the range of scenarios and making sure that in each of those we can respond appropriately.

“And that means providing support for public services, and we’ve already done that with regard to the NHS, making sure that we can support vulnerable people, and also making sure that we can help businesses get through what could be a impact on their businesses - it could be significant, but for a temporary period of time.”

He said the public finances are in a “very strong position”, adding: “Which means I can sit here and tell you I will take whatever action is required.”

KEY EVENT

100,000 coronavirus deaths is “worst case scenario”

Prof Marshall also said that projected figures of 100,000 coronavirus deaths were a “worst case scenario” rather than a certainty.

He told Sky News: “It is difficult because we don’t know what the scale of the emergency will be and at the moment some of the figures we are seeing is the worst possible scenario, and we are right to plan for those,” he said.

“It is very difficult to tell, we know that about 17,000 people a year die of flu so we know these kind of viruses can be very serious - 100,000 is probably more like a worst case scenario, I expect.”

Coronavirus will lead to hospitals cutting down on “other work”

The chair of the Royal College of GPs has said tackling coronavirus will likely lead to hospitals having to cut down on “other work”.

Speaking on Sky’s Sophy Ridge on Sunday, Professor Martin Marshall said: “This is a significant crisis for the health service and the health service is already under pressure.

“If we are going to try and continue doing what we are doing at the health service and tackle coronavirus, it will require a significant amount of resources.

“I expect we will cut down in terms of the other work we do.”

Infections are expected to rise (Image: AFP via Getty Images)

KEY EVENT

Grand Princess directed to Oakland port

A cruise ship held at sea off the coast of California due to a coronavirus outbreak has been directed to a port in San Francisco Bay.

The Grand Princess - carrying some 140 Britons - is due to reach Oakland shortly.

The late-night announcement capped four days of uncertainty surrounding the vessel and the fate of 3,500 people returning from a cruise to Hawaii.

The Grand Princess cruise liner off the coast of California, USA
The Grand Princess cruise liner off the coast of California, USA (Image: CALIFORNIA NATIONAL GUARD HANDOUT/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock)

Queen vows to 'keep calm' as Palace draws up emergency plans

The Queen will attend the Commonwealth Day service in Westminster Abbey tomorrow - despite fears over the spread of coronavirus.

But Palace staff are drawing up plans that would severely limit further engagements for the Queen if more people in Britain are infected.

The Queen, who is 93, may be forced to relocate to either Sandringham or Balmoral to limit the risk of infection with a reduced retinue of staff, reports the Mail on Sunday.

She will follow Government advice to self-isolate in the event of an epidemic while the Duke of Edinburgh, 98, will continue live on the Sandringham Estate.

The Queen describes the benefits of diversity in her annual message
The Queen will attend a public engagement tomorrow (Image: PA)

Ten people killed after hotel collapses with coronavirus patients inside

A five-storey hotel housing quarantined coronavirus patients collapsed in southeastern China yesterday leaving 71 people trapped under the rubble.

The Xinjia Hotel in the city Quanzhou collapsed just after 7pm local time on Saturday.

Ten people have been killed with about 24 still missing, with more than 30 people pulled alive from the rubble.

KEY EVENT

Northern Italy on lockdown as 16million people affected

Italy imposed a lockdown across the north of the country in a drastic attempt to try to contain the outbreak of coronavirus.

Some 16 million people will be affected by the draconian measure which will stay in force until April 3.

The new measures say people should not enter or leave Lombardy, Italy’s richest region, as well as 14 provinces in four other regions, including the cities of Venice, Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia and Rimini.

KEY EVENT

Death toll could top 100,000 UK victims - report

Government ministers are bracing for a coronavirus death toll as high as 100,000 people, the Sunday Times reported.

Whitehall officials described the figures are a “central estimate” but are significantly lower than the previous estimate of 500,000 victims if 80% of the UK population was infected.

Boris Johnson will head a fresh emergency COBRA meeting on Monday which will discuss further precautions.

Boris Johnson will chair a COBRA meeting on Monday morning (Image: PA)

Tesco limits products to five per customer

Supermarket giant Tesco is rationing products as they battle to get a handle on coronavirus panic buying.

Shoppers have been stripping shelves of hand sanitiser, toilet roll and baked beans.

Now bosses at the UK’s biggest supermarket have decided to limit customers to five items each of UHT milk, pasta and baked beans, both online and in store, reports the Telegraph.

On the supermarket giant’s website, shoppers are told they have reached a five-item limit when trying to order the products.


Read More
Related Posts